If you’d like to contribute to Big Liverpool Guide, you’re in the right place!
All you need is a passion for Liverpool, great ideas and a natural flair for writing.
If that sounds like you, please don’t hesitate to submit your work.
What We Do
Big Liverpool Guide is an online magazine, covering everything from local history, to music, events, local reviews and guides to the best spots to eat, drink and soak up all that Liverpool has to offer.
Your First Article
To get started, we’ve put together some handy tips to help you understand what it is that we’re looking for!
We want you to be as creative as possible when it comes to writing for us, but there are some rules we like to keep consistent.
Your article should:
- Be 100% unique (no plagiarism)
- Include good grammar and spelling
- Have an engaging, chatty tone of voice
- Be a minimum of 500 words
Please double check that your blog idea hasn’t already been covered on the site before you start writing.
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to thinking of article ideas, we’ve put together a brief list of formats and topics we like to follow.
- List blogs (e.g. 10 things you didn’t know about Liverpool)
- Reviews (on everything from bars and restaurants to theatre shows and events)
- In-depth factual pieces about Liverpool
- History blogs
- Articles covering interesting people or areas of the city
- Blogs about local music, events or football
- Q&As with a local figure or celebrity
- Articles featuring your photography of Liverpool
- Behind the scenes looks at established venues or upcoming bars and restaurants
Big Liverpool Guide showcases Liverpool from a local’s point of view. We want to hear about your experiences or learn about the best restaurants and bars, or hidden gems for everyone to enjoy.
If you are passionate about a certain theatre, why not write us a review? If you love good food, tell us the best new place you’ve visited.
What Makes a Good Blog?
- A catchy title to ensure people click on your blog (e.g 5 Hidden Gems You Have to Visit in Liverpool)
- Research! and fact check that information is correct
- A introduction that will hold the interest of readers
- Opinions (your own or from multiple people)
- Quotes from people or venues mentioned
- Use clear paragraphs to format your article
- Add relevant subheadings where necessary
- Ask someone else to read your work for feedback
- Proofread to check for typos and grammar
- A summary section to finish your article
- If possible, a photo you have permission to use
An article’s title is important. It can be the difference between a person clicking on an article or heading elsewhere.
A title should make a reader ask a question, whilst the article body should answer it. It should make a reader feel they will regret not reading the article right away. Place yourself in a reader’s shoes.
Would you click on an article if you stumbled on it on social media? If not, change it. Use words to hook readers in.
We recommend having a look around Big Liverpool Guide to get a feel for the tone of voice and type of content we create.
Now that you know what we’re looking for, it’s time to start writing!
Once you’re happy with your blog, send it over to us at The Big Liverpool Guide for approval.